UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Main Card Results

218 Holloway

For a long time, it looked like Jose Aldo would never lose his UFC featherweight crown. On Sunday at Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena, Max Holloway looked like he’s settling in for a long reign of his own as he stopped Aldo for the second time this year, retaining his 145-pound title with a third-round stoppage in the main event of UFC 218.

The victory was the 25-year-old Holloway’s 12th in a row and first title defense. The 31-year-old Aldo, who replaced the injured Frankie Edgar in Saturday’s bout, lost his belt to Holloway in June via third-round TKO as well.

Aldo started out more patiently than he did in their first fight, and while Holloway didn’t produce a blitz of activity, a stiff left jab kept pumping, reddening Aldo’s face in the process. Aldo was measured in his return fire, but he was throwing hard, eventually landing a solid uppercut just before the horn.

The same game plans stayed in effect in round two but at a higher work rate, with the exchanges heating up between the two featherweights, especially late in the frame. And while Holloway continued to use his jab, he mixed his attacks up even more in the second as Aldo stuck to the old reliable of his leg kicks and overhand rights.

The confident Holloway ignited some firefights in the third round, and as he got the better of the exchanges, Aldo began to look tired. The former champ wasn’t backing down, but Holloway’s pressure was relentless, with the exchanges rapidly becoming more one-sided. A desperation takedown by Aldo did buy the Brazilian star some time, but Holloway quickly took the top spot, firing away at his bloodied foe until referee Herb Dean stopped the fight at 4:51 of round three.

With the win, Waianae’s Holloway ups his record to 19-3. Rio de Janeiro’s Aldo falls to 26-4.

218 Ngannou


Francis Ngannou likely secured his shot at heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic in the UFC 218 co-main event Sunday at Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena, as the Cameroon native scored a spectacular first-round knockout over No. 1-ranked contender Alistair Overeem.

“I think I’ve got it,” the 31-year-old wrecking machine said with a smile. “I’m ready for that.”

He sure looked like it.

A confident Overeem fired a wild left hook at Ngannou to begin the fight, and while he missed, he was able to close the distance and lock up with his foe. Ngannou handled the pressure well and a stall in the action produced a restart from referee Dan Miragliotta. That break was all Ngannou needed, as he fired off a left of his own that knocked Overeem out instantly. The official time of Miragliotta’s stoppage was 1:42.

The No. 4-ranked Ngannou ups his record to 11-1. Overeem falls to 43-16 with 1 NC.

218 Cejudo


Henry Cejudo was solid, yet unspectacular, in winning a shutout three-round unanimous decision over Sergio Pettis in their clash of top five flyweights.

After showing off his striking in his recent win over Wilson Reis, Cejudo went back to his wrestling in round one, as he took Pettis down and kept him there for much of the first five minutes.

Pettis had success with his striking in the first minute of round two, but when he tripped to the mat, Cejudo capitalized and went back to his ground attack. In the final minute, Pettis got loose and rose to his feet but didn’t have enough time to mount the comeback he needed.

A minute into the final round, Cejudo put the fight on the mat once more, and he kept him there until there were 90 seconds left in the bout. It was time for one last charge from Pettis, but he wasn’t able to put it together, allowing Cejudo to leave Detroit with the victory via identical scores of 30-27.

The No. 2-ranked Cejudo moves to 12-2 with the win. The No. 4-ranked Pettis falls to 16-3.

218 Alvarez


In a fight UFC fans had been waiting for ever since it was announced, Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje delivered the goods and then some, with the former lightweight champion scoring a stirring third-round knockout over Gaethje, who suffered his first pro loss in the process.

Gaethje went after Alvarez’ legs with kicks to start the bout, and while Alvarez fired back with punches well, the kicks were having an effect almost immediately. Switching stances to deal with the kicks, Alvarez’ movement was being compromised and Gaethje just kept marching forward. Alvarez got a flash takedown with just over two minutes left, but Gaethje stood almost as soon as he hit the deck. Late in the round, Alvarez began digging to the body, and he also opened a cut over Gaethje’s left eye, capping off a strong finish for the former champ.

Alvarez had a solid second round, mainly focusing on the body attack that was taking its toll on Gaethje, but “The Underground King” didn’t abandon the head either, adding to his lead. Gaethje was far from finished though, and he barrage of return fire raised a huge swelling on the right side of Alvarez’ face late in the round.

Gaethje staggered Alvarez with another hard kick to the leg early in round three, and the Arizonan kept the heat on the leg as Alvarez attempted to keep his foe at bay with shots to the head. With a little under three minutes left, Alvarez dragged the fight to the mat but he couldn’t keep Gaethje there, and the leg assault continued. In response, Alvarez did his best to close the distance and keep Gaethje from having the room to operate, and as the Philadelphian got his wish, he landed a thudding right knee that sent Gaethje to the canvas. A follow up series of punches from Alvarez finished the job, with referee Herb Dean halting the bout at 3:59 of the third frame.

With the win, the No. 4-ranked Alvarez ups his record to 29-5 with 1 NC. The No. 5-ranked Gaethje falls to 18-1.

218 Torres


Tecia Torres’ third consecutive win was one of the most important of her career, as the strawweight contender opened up the main card with a unanimous decision victory over Michelle Waterson.

Scores were 30-27 and 29-28 twice.

Waterson struck first in the fight with a shot that opened up a cut under Torres’ right eye, but from there, it was “The Tiny Tornado” in control, as she implemented a busy attack that kept Waterson guessing.

Waterson scored a takedown in the second minute of round two and did well from the top position for a while, but Torres stayed busy, working for a kimura and a triangle choke from her back before they rose in the closing seconds of the frame.

With her left eye bruised up, Waterson had something else to deal with in the third round and Torres capitalized, using her strikes to set up a takedown. Once on the mat, Torres took over with hard strikes that nearly halted the fight, but the gutsy New Mexico product was able to escape just before the end of the bout.

The No. 5-ranked Torres moves to 10-1 with the win. The No. 6-ranked Waterson falls to 14-6.

Article Source: au.ufc.com By Thomas Gerbasi