UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs Reis prelims results

kc Duquesnoy

French bantamweight phenom Tom Duquesnoy delivered big in his UFC debut, halting Patrick Williams in the second round.

After starting the fight with some wild haymakers, Williams got the fight to the mat, but Duquesnoy rose to his feet quickly. Williams continued to be the busier of the two though, and with two minutes left, he rattled Duquesnoy with a right hand. The Frenchman returned the favor 30 seconds later, and he began finding his range even though he was now sporting a cut over his left eye. Just before the horn, Duquesnoy dropped Williams with a left elbow, and the tide had turned.

As the second began, Williams looked exhausted and Duquesnoy pounced, with a right elbow to the head dropping the Floridian and bringing referee Keith Peterson in to stop the fight at the 28-second mark of round two.

With the win, Duquesnoy improves to 15-1 with 1 NC. Williams falls to 8-5.

kc Volkov


No. 11-ranked heavyweight contender Alexander Volkov won his fourth straight in UFC Fight Night prelim action at Sprint Center in Kansas City, shutting out veteran Roy Nelson over three rounds.

Scores were 30-27 across the board.

Nelson didn’t have much difficulty closing the distance on his 6-foot-7 foe in the first round, and after putting some work in, he took Volkov down and kept him there until referee Dan Miragliotta restarted the bout in the closing minute. From there, Volkov opened up with both hands, scoring with several blows while taking some “Big Country” rights before the horn sounded.

In the second and third rounds, Volkov was largely able to keep Nelson at bay, and fatigue was an issue for the Las Vegas veteran, who got off some more right hands but wasn’t able to capitalize, allowing “Drago” to stick and move his way to the win.

Moscow’s Volkov moves to 28-6 with the victory. The 40-year-old Nelson falls to 23-14.

kc Magomedov


Lightweight fringe contenders Rashid Magomedov and Bobby Green battled on nearly even terms for three rounds, with Magomedov edging out a split decision win.

The first round was competitive and close, with Green perhaps holding an edge, but not by a lot, as neither landed too many telling blows.

In the second, Magomedov landed a left hand that opened a cut over Green’s eye, with Green claiming it was an eye poke. Replays showed otherwise, and the action soon resumed, with Magomedov landing more and more shots before Green clinched with him against the fence. After breaking, Magomedov got a quick takedown, but Green scrambled back to his feet immediately, and the two battled on even terms to the horn.

The back-and-forth battle continued in the final five minutes, neither fighter able to truly pull ahead, and this closely contested action was reflected on the scorecards, which read 29-28 twice and 28-29 for Magomedov, who improves to 20-2. Green falls to 23-8.

kc Elliott


The Ultimate Fighter 24 winner Tim Elliott scored his first UFC win since 2013, shutting out Hawaii’s Louis Smolka via unanimous decision in front of his hometown fans in Missouri.

Elliott raced out of his corner and shot for a takedown immediately, getting it with ease. On the mat, Elliott sought a guillotine choke and when that came up short, Smolka escaped to his feet, only to get caught with some strikes from the local favorite. The fight went back to the mat five more times, the fifth trip opening a cut over Smolka’s right eye but also allowing him to fire off some ground strikes before the round ended.

The frenetic pace didn’t let up in round two, with the tireless Elliott continuing to make Smolka’s night miserable. The Hawaiian was gritty and competitive throughout, but Elliott’s non-stop attack kept him a step ahead throughout.

It was no shocker that the final five minutes played out like the first ten, with scrambles and ground battles continuing to excite the crowd. But when three scores of 30-27 were read, there was no question that Elliott was the winner, much to the delight of the crowd.

With the win, the No. 9-ranked Elliott moves to 15-7-1. The No. 12-ranked Smolka, who lost his third straight, falls to 11-4.

kc Sterling


Bantamweight contender Aljamain Sterling snapped a two-fight losing streak, putting together a steady effort in outpointing Augusto Mendes over three rounds.

Scores were 29-28 across the board.

Firing bombs from the start, Sterling wasn’t landing, but he used his striking to get a takedown in the second minute. After controlling matters there, Mendes was able to use a leg lock attempt to get back to his feet, and then it was the Brazilian showing off his striking as he rocked Sterling and then nearly locked in a triangle choke. But by the end of the round, the defensively sound New Yorker got out of trouble and was back in control in the top position.

Sterling began wearing Mendes down in the second, and his pace was keeping him ahead of the game on the scorecards, and Sterling just cemented the end result in the final round, as he kept the pressure on while avoiding the last-round charges by Mendes.

With the win, Sterling moves to 13-2; Mendes falls to 6-2.

kc Clark


Light heavyweight prospect Devin Clark picked up his second consecutive win, earning a three-round unanimous decision over Missouri’s Jake Collier.

The first round was a wild one, with some back and forth exchanges that were sloppy but oddly effective. Clark (8-1) did get a takedown midway through the round and landed some hard knees before the two rose, and that may have been enough to win him the round.

The second was more clearly Clark’s as he controlled the grappling throughout the frame.

Told by his corner that he had to get Clark out of there in the final round, Collier (10-4) came out fast, only to get dumped to the mat once more, and from there, Clark simply outmuscled his foe, wrapping up a clear-cut decision by scores of 30-27 twice and 30-26.

kc Smith


Middleweight veteran Anthony Smith picked up the biggest win of his UFC career, handing The Ultimate Fighter 23 winner Andrew Sanchez his first Octagon defeat by third-round stoppage.

Not surprisingly, Sanchez got the fight to the mat in the opening minute, but after biding his time for the right time to move, Smith (27-12) reversed position and got on top in the third minute of the round. With 1:45 remaining in the first frame, referee Keith Peterson restarted the action, and it was Sanchez holding the striking edge for the rest of the round.

Smith’s striking was working well for him early in round two, but midway through the round, Sanchez took the Nebraskan down and kept him there, working patiently as he piled up the points.

With Sanchez (10-3) tiring in the third, Smith stepped on the gas, and he progressively got closer to landing the finisher. Eventually, a right kick to the head rocked Sanchez, and the follow-up barrage by “Lionheart” ended in, with Peterson stepping in at 3:52 of the final round.

kc Cummings


Zak Cummings thrilled fans in his hometown of Kansas City as he scored a dominant first-round submission win over fellow welterweight veteran Nathan Coy.

In control from the time referee Mike England waved the fighters into battle, Cummings’ striking was sharper than ever, with his speed and power keeping Coy from getting his offense in gear. With a little over a minute left, Coy tried to switch things up by getting a takedown, but Cummings held him off and sunk in a guillotine choke that ended the fight at the 4:21 mark of the opening frame.

With the win, Cummings moves to 21-5; Coy falls to 15-7.

kc Vieira


Unbeaten bantamweight Ketlen Vieira moved to 8-0 in the opener, winning a three-round unanimous decision over No. 13-ranked Ashlee Evans-Smith.

Both fighters had their moments in a competitive first round, but the harder punches were landed by the more aggressive Vieira. The Brazilian got the bout to the mat early in round two, and even though Evans-Smith (5-2) fought her way to her feet quickly, Vieira remained locked on to her until separating with three minutes left, and matters got worse for the American, who got tagged several times with flush shots before round’s end.

Evans-Smith drilled Vieira with a hard right hand in the opening stages of round three, but as soon as the Brazilian hit the deck, she rose and locked her opponent up against the fence. After a stalling of the action, referee Keith Peterson restarted the bout, and the busier Evans-Smith continued to press the fight, but it wasn’t enough for the judges, who declared Vieira the winner by scores of 30-27 and 29-28 twice.

Article Source: au.ufc.com By Thomas Gerbasi